Exchange Server 2016 before you begin
Before you deploy Exchange 2016, you need to carefully consider some important issues. It’s important that you understand these issues before you begin your deployment so that you don’t run into any surprises along the way.
- Server Roles
- Mailbox : The Mailbox server includes the Client Access protocols, the Transport service, the Mailbox databases, and Unified Messaging. The Mailbox server handles all activity for the active mailboxes on that server.
- Edge Transport : The Edge Transport server role is deployed in your organization’s perimeter network and outside your internal Active Directory forest. Designed to minimize the attack surface, the Edge Transport server handles all Internet-facing mail flow and provides SMTP relay and smart host services, anti-spam features, message protection, and transport security for the Exchange organization.
- Active Directory Schema Update
When you install Exchange 2016 for the first time, your Active Directory schema will be updated. This schema update is required to add objects and attributes to Active Directory to support Exchange 2016.
- Third-party certificates (Public CA)
- Private certificates(Internal CA)
- Self-signed certificates (individual computer – not trusted CA)
more info: Digital certificates and SSL.
- Office Online Server Preview
This feature Enables users to view supported file attachments within Outlook on the web (Outlook) without downloading them first and without having a local installation of the program. Without Office Online Server Preview installed, Outlook users need to download attachments to their local computer, and then open them in a local application.
More info: Office online server preview
- Split DNS
Is a concept that allows you to configure different IP addresses for the same host name, depending on where the originating DNS request came from.Ex (Domain .local , Domain .com)
more info: Split-Brain Domain Name Services
- Supported Client
- Outlook 2016
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook 2010
- Outlook for Mac for Office 365
- Outlook for Mac 2011
Outlook clients earlier than Outlook 2010 are not supported. Email clients on Mac operating systems that require DAV, such as Entourage 2008 for Mac RTM and Entourage 2004, are not supported.
- Hybrid deployment with Office 365
A hybrid deployment offers organizations the ability to extend the feature-rich experience and administrative control they have with their existing on-premises Microsoft Exchange organization to the cloud.
more info: Exchange Server Hybrid Deployments.